Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Meet Nathan

This is Nathan....
Nathan is our oldest at 13. He too has FXS along with ADHD and anxiety issues. He was diagnosed at the age of 4. This was after 3 years of thinking something wasn't right but being told he would eventually catch up. Nathan is our highest functioning of our 3 with FXS. That wasn't always the case though. When he was younger he was non-verbal. I don't think he spoke a single word until he was five. Potty training took a year. I remember the aide and I holding his arms and legs and carrying him across the street just to get him on the bus. The meltdowns in the stores were horrible. Everyone stared. He hated the car, he hated to sleep, he hated any change at all. I was one of those parents that said that I would never put my child on medicine. After his kindergarten year and a long talk with teachers and doctors we decided to try medication. It took a while but we saw improvement. We started to see Nathan. Here is my favorite part.....
Now 8yrs later, Nathan has gone to an overnight camp (huge deal), he can carry on short conversations, he has a great sense of humor, he is in charge all the time of everything (he does all kinds of work because no one else does it right), he is typing, he works electronics better than I do, he has sang twice on stage in the choir, he has his group of guys at school who hang out with him (that still makes me cry) and he has gone roller skating. (there is a lot more but that would take months to write)
Now I may have been cursed out a few times and so have his teachers and he may like to argue with me and tell me I am boring and a baby and that I need to leave him alone but he is one amazing young man!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment